Friday, May 29, 2009

But I Want To Go With You

How can you resist a 3-year-old boy looking at you with puppy-dog eyes and saying, "But I want to go with you"? My Dad sure couldn't.

Nephew L and Nephew J had gone with Mom and I to feed the cows. This is always a big hit with our family. Who doesn't want to drive around in the fresh, country air from field to field in order to feed cattle? We had quite the day because Mom and Dad had to move cattle up the county road to a different field and we had the boys with us. Just try moving cattle (even if it's just 8 head) with a 3-year-old and a 1-year-old. There I was, holding NJ (one and a half), and standing in the middle of the road in order to discourage the cattle from going past the gate they were supposed to go into. Luckily, they went where they were supposed to go, because I'm not sure what I was supposed to do with NJ in my arms if the cattle came charging up the hill towards us.

After successfully moving the cattle, we went back to feeding the rest of the cattle...going from field to field. While moving cattle to an adjoining field (nothing like moving them up the road), my Dad shows up on the 4-wheeler just as we were finishing and getting ready to go to the other side of the farm (right on time). While he's off the 4-wheeler, NL climbs down from the Ranger and proceeds to climb onto the 4-wheeler. My Dad tries to tell NL that he can't go with him, but NL just fastens himself to that 4-wheeler like a tick on a dog. No one was going to pull him off that thing if he had anything to say about it. He firmly says, "But I want to go with you" as if that settled it. And I guess it did. Even my Dad, a rough and tumble man, couldn't help but melt when it comes to the adoration of his three-year-old grandson.

Sent from my BlackBerry Smartphone provided by Alltel

No comments: