- If I upgrade to HD, I have to get a new DirecTV satellite box (and satellite dish).
- I refuse to give up my Tivo.
- DirecTV only has a DVR that works with HD. DVRs are NOT THE SAME as Tivo. If you've never had Tivo, you won't understand (it's kind of like how PC people don't understand how great Macs are if they haven't ever owned one).
- Tivo's HD box does not work with satellite service, just cable (I was just going to do that, but found out it wouldn't work).
- DirecTV and Tivo are partnering on an HD DirecTV Tivo box (Yippy!), but rumors of it coming out in the second half of 2009 have been pushed back to early 2010 (boo!). Will it be pushed back again? How long must I wait?
- If I go to HD, I want to also get surround sound (again...have already gone through 2 systems and haven't had it for around 3 years now *sigh*). Most surround sound systems now come with a DVD player in the receiver. That sounds good, but...
- I need a DVD recorder. I'm actually in the market for one right now because my current one has stopped playing DVDs. If I get a surround sound with a DVD player, how am I going to record shows onto a DVD? I don't want to have a DVD recorder hooked up to a DVD player, that's just stupid (and redundant).
The thing is, I'm single and live alone. I'm a HUGE entertainment freak. I have the TV on all the time (even if I'm not really paying attention and it's just for company). Spending money on a good entertainment system is not something I think is stupid or wasteful because I will definitely get my money's worth. I just want to wait and get the best set up for me.
Let me know if you have any grand ideas!