Friday, June 26, 2009

So Far This Summer

The summer is finally here for me and I find myself staying away from the computer more and more...hence the long absence. I thought I would give a glimpse into what I've been doing the last few weeks.

  • I finally finished summer school! I am so glad about that. It's good money, but it's a long 12 days.
  • So far I've been out at high school camp and Intermediate camp (5th and 6th grade). I was out at hs camp every day after school, but didn't go out to intermediate camp but a few days.
  • It rained and rained and rained until everyone was sick of it, now it is unnaturally hot with no real rain in sight. I warned people they would be begging for rain, but that's how it always is in the Ozarks! Now it has been in the 90s all week with heat indexes of well over a 100 degrees!
  • I spent two days this week getting together the fireworks stand for our church youth group. It's a fundraiser they are trying for the first time. It was hot and miserable. There was too much work for the few people we had there, as well as being a disorganized mess. Needless to say, I will not be having anything to do with one next year (if they decide to do it again).
  • Last week I took my (almost 5-year-old) niece out on a "date", just the two of us. We had fun going out to eat and shop. Today I took my 3-year-old nephew out on a "date". We went to McDonalds, the farm store, the western store and most importantly, John Deere. He got to pick out a toy tractor. He had a blast, and so did I.
  • This was my first real week off, even though I did have stuff I was committed to doing (fireworks mostly) a few days. I managed to get a bunch of stuff done around the house, but at a leisurely pace that allowed me to read and watch movies as well.
  • I haven't had internet access for the last few days because I exceeded my allowable bandwidth. I hate that I have to pay twice what the average person pays for internet access and then I am limited to how much I can use. It's ridiculous. My access was only supposed to slow down because of my overage, but I lost all signal. I called a little over an hour ago and upgraded my service package so I could have more bandwidth and higher speeds as well. Hopefully, that will help. I really only need the extra bandwidth during the summer and winter breaks when I am home more and thus on the computer more, but...
Anyway, that's about all I can think of right now. Nothing too exciting happening here. I will try to be a little bit more on top of things, but it is the summer and I promise nothing!

2 comments:

Mrs. E said...

Wow! You have had a busy summer. I don't envy you the job of setting up a fireworks stand, but I understand that they make good money! Hope you enjoy the rest of your summer, once you get next week over with!

Gifts of Nature said...

@Mrs. E - Hope you're having a good summer as well. I would say that this week won't be as bad, but I have to work the fireworks stand on July 1st. It should be fairly busy on that day and there are only two of us working. I'm just hoping for a break in the weather by then!