Thursday, July 22, 2010

Time For A Change?



Now that I'm back to blogging full time, I'm really feeling the need or a change, an overhaul really, of my blog.  I'm considering a few things:

1. I am thinking of getting my own domain name instead of using blogspot.com
2. I really need to re-do the whole site. Blogger has made a lot of upgrades since I built my site.

Okay, so that is only two, but each one comes with its own variables...

1. Do I want to keep the same name as I have currently? Do I want to shorten it, but keep it similar? I wonder because I don't write exclusively about either being single or living in a small town. I get requests all the time to host or try out some singles website or product(s). I assume they haven't really read my blog if they are asking; they are just going on its name. Which makes me wonder if I need to find a real focus for my blog or is it okay that I just discuss things that happen in my life? Should I find some larger focus even if I decide to not limit the posts to a specific focus (did that make sense)? I really did put thought into the name of my blog before I started it, but I have found that there are a lot of things I want to discuss that aren't specific to people who are single or people living in a small town. I guess I could try to always throw in a little bit about either or both, but that seems forced.  I feel if I want to take this to the next level, it needs some sort of focus.


2.  I haven't done anything but cosmetic changes to my blog since I first built it. I had to teach myself how to edit the html and I worked really hard to get it like I wanted it, but that's just it...like I wanted it. Blogger now has more options. I've always wanted to have multiple pages on my blog and maybe even pull in my photoblog as an extension of this one. It is time to do that.  I am sure it is going to take me awhile to figure out how to do all that without losing some of the personalization I've made to my blog.  I also want to really come up with a good look for my blog. I'm creative, although not a professional graphic designer. I know how to use Photoshop and think I can come up with a reasonably good look for my blog. I already have some ideas. I am definitely going for a cleaner look. I'm looking forward to the challenge, but still a little overwhelmed right now.  I had thought about trying out WordPress, but after looking at the comparisons between it and Blogger, I am going to stick with Blogger...at least for now.


I would love your opinions on all of this.  What would you like to see?

2 comments:

Vito and Gina said...

Just checking in on your blog after a little while! I'm going to link to it on my blog! Yes, I have a blog, and yes it is a blog written from my pug's point of view. Don't laugh. ;)

As for your question about switching to Wordpress, I am a total blog newbie so I'm still figuring it out. But I have FOR SURE been frustrated as I learn with Blogger. The picture downloading (takes FOREVER) and then cutting and pasting in to the order I want them drives me NUTS - I cut and paste and it automatically highlights text I've already put in, therefore deleting that text if I paste. Seriously, I know computers. But this makes me feel like I don't!

So if you end up switching let me know! Although you are a far advanced blogger compared to me, so maybe Blogspot is perfect for me - a simpleton! ;)

Gifts of Nature said...

@Gina and Vito - They say Blogger is easier for newbies, especially when it comes to personalizing it. It is where I learned how to customize beyond templates. I haven't had time to really figure out what I want. I may start a WordPress blog and see if I like it before deciding which will be my main one...