Thursday, September 23, 2010

Interview Day...

Oh how I hate Interview Day! You may ask what exactly is an Interview Day... Well, every year all the juniors have to do mock interviews with local business people. Because our school is an A+ school (which allows students to get 2 years of tuition paid at local colleges), we are required to make our students participate in both an interview scenario and job shadow (more about that later).

Because I have all of the juniors, I end up having to be the enforcer for this wonderful day of the year. Students are required to dress up in appropriate interview attire. You would think I was asking them to kill their puppy. Good Grief. I never hear more whining than I do on the days leading up to the interviews. 

Here are my rules: They can't interview in: jeans, shorts, t-shirts, tennis shoes, work boots, flip-flops or revealing clothing. Other than that, they are graded by the interviewers as to how they are dressed. They know about this on the second day of school because I want to give the plenty of time to buy or borrow clothes.


You would not believe how many students say that they don't own anything but jeans. Some of them I actually believe, and this brings about a whole other topic about how people no longer dress appropriately for the occasion (there is never a good reason to wear jeans to a wedding or a funeral...unless it is the funeral of a pet). I'm not asking them to go out and spend $100 on a new outfit. They can shop at yard sales or the thrift store and get an outfit for $5. The only thing that may be hard to find is the shoes.

Even though I don't teach on interview day, I am wiped by the end of the day just because of all the whining!

No comments: