Saturday, September 20, 2014

Cupcake Dress

No, I didn't make a dress that looks like a cupcake. I like a few of Katy Perry's songs but not enough to dress like her!

I had a friend commission me to make a Princess Anna cupcake dress for her youngest daughter's birthday. I had made a princess cupcake dress for my niece's birthday a few months ago, and my friend had seen it and wanted to know if I could make one for her daughter.

My Niece's Princess Cupcake Dress

Originally I started making them last weekend. A full weekend early! I had gotten it in my head that it was that weekend. Luckily, I posted on Facebook what I was up to, and she sent me a message to stop me. I had already baked the cupcakes, but luckily had just started the icing!! I did have to do a cupcake giveaway, but that didn't prove to be too difficult. 

As my cupcakes were in the oven, I worked on coloring the icing that I had frozen (haha...Frozen!) from last week and sketching out the dress. 


I had to make black icing for the first time. I knew enough to start out with chocolate icing though, so it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. 


The blue wasn't perfect, but it was close enough. The mauve was actually much closer to Anna's dress than it looks in the picture. 

I thought the dress turned out well.


My friend had a great crown and scepter she found on Etsy, but she was going to add those at the party. 

I really hope this is a birthday "cake" that one little girl will always remember. I can still remember some of the awesome cakes my mother spent hours making for me. She would buy those shaped cake pans, then make all colors of icing and use that star tip to cover the cakes. I know her hands had to be cramping from all that decorating! What love!!

Do you have any birthday cakes from  your childhood that have become part of a fond memory?

No comments: