Thursday, February 26, 2009

AI - 2nd Round of Top 36

Jasmine Murray (17, Mississippi) – I didn’t care for her. I don’t think that she did very well. Randy said she was pitchy. Overall the judges were disappointed in her performance.

Matt Giraud (23, Michigan) – He’s the dueling piano guy. I think he should stick to playing the piano. I’m not sure he is meant to get out from behind the piano. He wasn’t terrible, but there was this weird vibrato/shakiness going on in his voice, and he got completely off key several times. The judges didn’t like it and said that it was not the style that he should have been singing, but that he had talent.

Jeanine Vailes (28, Washington DC) – She sang “This Love” by Maroon 5 and I think she looked like she was trying too hard. It didn’t look natural. Her voice wasn’t too bad, but I didn’t like the arrangement and it really wasn’t different enough from the original to seem like she “made it her own.” Paula just said that she had great legs, then passed it off to Simon. Simon said it was terrible and that it was the wrong song for her. Apparently her legs were the only thing they liked.

Nick Mitchell (27, Connecticut) AKA: Norman Gentle – Norman’s back! I really like Norman. I can’t believe that he’s made it this far with that persona, but he is really good. He’ll never win, but I sure do enjoy watching him. And Nick can sing. Simon doesn’t want him to go any further. Randy said it was entertaining. Kara said that at least he was memorable.

Allison Iraheta (16, Los Angeles) – She sang Heart and did a good job. She’s not the best singer ever, but I think she chose the right song for her voice and style. Her performance seamed genuine and not over-done. I’m amazed that that smokey-voice is coming out of a junior in high school. Randy said she was the best so far. Kara said she was great, Paula said she could sing the telephone book (whatever that means because I’m sure I wouldn’t want to hear anyone do that). Simons said she was the best by a clear mile.

Kris Allen (23, Arkansas) – I think his voice is okay, better than some from tonight, but I think he looked like he was trying too hard. Kara said the end was better than the beginning, but still not his best. Paula and Simon liked it, although Simon said Kris wasn’t the best, but that he was proud of him. Randy mentioned that he was able sing without the guitar.

Megan Corkrey (23, Utah) – I like her voice and I think the song was a good choice for her, but she kept doing this weird little dance. I actually think the dance was sincere, but it was still weird. All the judges liked her.

Matt Breitzke - Big, bald, welder. I’m not sure how I feel about him. Interesting voice. Stays on pitch. Still…I’m reminded of a really good karaoke singer for some reason. He didn’t really make the song his own and that might be why. Simon liked Matt, but not the song. Randy said the performance was boring. Kara said it fell flat. They just didn’t like the song, but think he’s a great singer.

Jesse Langseth (26, Minneapolis) – How many times can they mention that this chick is a single mother? I didn’t like her movements/”dancing”. I thought it was awkward and uncomfortable. I used to like “Betty Davis Eyes”, but I didn’t really Jesse’s rendition of the song. Randy said it was okay, but not exciting. Kara liked watching her…not sure she was watching the same performance that I was. Paula said she was captivating. Simon said she was forgettable.

Kai Kalama (27, California) – This is the guy with the crazy hair; even the stylists couldn’t do anything with it. Terrible facial expressions and creepy movements that I’m pretty sure he thought were sexy. The singing was sub-par. Simon said it was corny.


Misha (18, California) – This is the girl that was cut last year, but has been given a second chance. I didn’t like her version of “Drops of Jupiter”, and I thought she kept going into this weird yodel note…similar to what country singers do. Paula actually started the judging on this one. I didn’t know that she could come up with her own opinion without listening to others first…Paula didn’t like the song choice. They want her to loosen up and sound her age.

Adam Lambert (27, Hollywood) – This is the overly dramatic guy. Weird Elvis lip stuff going on. I don’t like his voice because it’s a little screechy. I’m sure the tweens love him because they think he’s cute. Paula was on her feet…seriously? I didn’t think he was that good at all. Simon said there parts that were excruciatingly bad and parts that were brilliant. Randy loved it and said that he was a current artist…I would agree with that, but I’m not into current. Kara said his vocals were outrageous. Once again, let me point out the screechy part…

I thought this was a pretty unspectacular night. How about you?

No comments: