Tuesday, March 31, 2009

American Idol Top 9

This week’s theme is Most Popular Download. This means that I’ll probably have not heard the majority of these songs because I haven’t listened to “new” music in about two years. I just stick with my favorites from the 70s and 80s.

Anoop - I hated the song (Usher), but I thought he did okay. There were places where I couldn’t understand the words though. Randy didn’t think it was the right song, but the vocals were cool. Kara said it sounded like a bunch of Frat guys dared him to sing Usher. Paula said his vocals sounded really good, but to work on his stage presence. Simon thought it was “a complete and utter mess”.

Megan - Once again, Megan makes all songs sound exactly the same. I’m so over it. The look on Kara’s face said it all… Paula said Megan needed to take them all by surprise. Simon said the song was boring, indulgent, and monotonous. Randy said it was like watching paint dry.

Danny - I think Danny did a good job…as usual. Paula loved it. Simon thought it was Danny’s best performance. Randy loved it. Kara was moved emotionally.

Allison - Plays her guitar for the first time. She sings No Doubt and this is the first song I recognized and I’m not sure that she did much to change the song and make it her own, but I liked it. I don’t think it was her best performance, however. Randy didn’t like her outfit. Kara said she didn’t need to dress “rock” because the rock just comes out of Megan and it was a good performance, but not her best. Paula loved it. Simon didn’t like the outfit either.

Scott - sings Billy Joel, who is one of my favorite singer/song writers. While I think Scott did a really good job and he did make the song his own, I don’t think it sounded very current. I like the song, but I don’t think it could make it on the radio today…not like that. Kara thought it was a smart choice. Paula liked it. Simon thought it was his best performance so far. Randy said it was one of the best performances of the night.

Matt - This was probably the only one of Matt’s performances that I have really enjoyed. I thought this sounded like it was the song/genre for him and I could see him as an artist…finally. Paula didn’t like it because it wasn’t like his other songs in the falsetto. Simon didn’t like it either because it sounded like someone being like someone else. Randy thought it was the wrong song as well. Kara said he needed to commit to either the R&B side of pop or the rock side of pop. – Maybe this is why I finally liked it…because it didn’t sound like his normal style. I just don’t like all the falsetto stuff he’s been doing up to this point.

Lil - I loved the timpani in the background…I always love songs with a timpani. I hated her hair and make-up. I thought she did a good job, but I still don’t think there is anything unique about Lil. Randy liked it, but said she needed to “young it up a little bit”. Kara liked it. Paula said she didn’t want to see an adult/contemporary Lil. Randy thought it was like a wedding performance, which I think he said about one of her other performances. I don't think they liked the song, but didn't want to say so after she mentioned that in the video before her song.

Adam - Let me just start out by saying that I’m not buying into Adam’s whole punk/rock persona. I do not think he is punk or rock. I think it is all an act and I’m not buying into it. He is obviously a drama nerd and he is just using his acting skills. Listen to him when he talks…there’s no way he is punk or rock. He’s all showbiz and Broadway. But I digress… He turned “Play That Funky Music” into a Broadway show tune. Seriously. He just needs to go be in Rent and get it over with. And...I'm tired of the judges falling for his act. Just about anyone on Broadway could pull off the same thing, but that doesn't make them a pop star. Paula was creaming all over herself. I’m not sure she realizes that he is gay. Simon said it was brave and original. Randy loved it. Kara loved it too.

Kris - plays the piano for a change. I found his voice a little less annoying tonight than last week. I thought he did a good job. Randy said it was one of the best of the night. Kara said it was artistry. Paula loved it, and said it was his best to date. Simon said he showed confidence and also agreed that it was Kris’ best performance.

I think Megan should go home tomorrow. What do you think?

1 comment:

Willowmom said...

Hi - Love your recap - now when I watch Idol on TIVo later today - I will already know who to fast forward through! Thanks for stalking - I spend way to much time reading blogs! See ya - I am going to go and enjoy my day off.