Thursday, July 1, 2010

Best. Hamburger. Ever.

I've been doing Weight Watchers since January (down 58 pounds!) and I am just now getting comfortable to add some of my regular foods (with some variation) back into my diet.


Lately I've been really hooked on turkey brats and turkey dogs.  They are only 3-4 points each (depending on type) and a whole wheat bun is only 2 points. Toppings don't even add up to a point, so I can have a brat for just 5 or 6 points! I have had one almost every day since I discovered them.


Last week my Mom told me they had the new beef in.  My parents raise beef cattle (Angus). They butcher enough for our family plus some to be sold at a local health food store...and it is GOOD! I refuse to buy meat at the store. I can sooo tell the difference. Besides, I know exactly what my beef has been living off of and how well it is treated. Plus, my hamburger meat comes from the same cow.  That cannot be said for most of the hamburger meat purchased at a store (sometimes 100s of cows are mixed into one batch of hamburger and from multiple countries!) Not ours. This is high quality, lean meat.


So when Mom told me they had hamburger in (it had been awhile), I grabbed a package and decided to make some burgers.  I made four quarter-pound burgers and used whole wheat buns (6 points without cheese).  I decided to get a little creative with these burgers, and it paid off.

 (not my burger, just a random pic found on the web)

Here's what I did:


1 pound ground beef
5 mushroom caps, finely chopped
1/2 yellow onion, finely chopped
about 2 Tbl Worcestershire sauce
seasonings: salt, pepper, garlic salt, season salt and Greek seasoning  (I never measure, I just KNOW)


Mix all ingredients together and make into four patties.  Place in a hot skillet on medium heat. Cover.  I only flip my burgers once after there is no longer any pink showing, then cook the other side until it is browned. Covering the burgers while cooking them keep them super juicy!

I only put cheese, ketchup and mustard on mine, but I would love to add a tomato slice and maybe some lettuce (just didn't have them).  I use a whole wheat bun.  I can't tell the difference in taste, but they are better for you.


I am going to make my next batch with more mushrooms.  The more mushrooms, the less points.  I would like to add twice as many mushrooms and then get 5 burgers out of a pound of meat. 


Let me know if you have a great summer recipe to share!

No comments: