Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Women And Romance Novels

What is it about women and romance novels? Well, any romance really...movies, tv, music...

I've been caught up in reading romance novels this summer.  I only read regency romance novels. I love immersing myself in the world of the British aristocracy, or being swept along the Scottish highlands. I like to pretend I am a poor maid who eventually becomes a Countess.  A woman who eventually falls in love with the dashing rake; the rake who is secretly a romantic, thoughtful guy.  Aaahhhh...romance!

I just finished reading A Rose in Winter by Kathleen E. Woodiwiss, one of the very first romance authors (as we know them today).  This is one of my all-time favorite romance novels. It has intrigue with a dash of mystery as well as a great romance story. I only wish I could forget the big twist in the story, so I could experience the revelation each time I read it.

I love to read series. I always hate it when a good novel is over, which is why I like to read either long novels (600+ pages...no Harlequin romance novels for me) or a series of novels.  One of my favorite series is The Wakefield Dynasty series by Gilbert Morris.  This is a Christian Historical series that follows the Wakefield family through seven novels starting in 1513 in England and going through each generation of the family.  This is my favorite type of series. I love that you get to know what happens with all the characters throughout their lifetime because the next novels will still be centered on that same family.



I really want to re-read The Wakefield Dynasty series this summer, but I can't get it in Kindle format, and I really don't want to have to read the actual books...even though I already own them.  Although I like to read books on my Kindle better (it's more convenient in many ways), normally I wouldn't mind reading an actual paper novel.  Lately, I've been having a lot of pain with my left wrist and hand and it is so much easier to read on my Kindle because I can easily do that with one hand.Hopefully my hand starts feeling better soon so I can read it. Until then, I keep downloading free Kindle novels and reading those. You never know when you will find a winner!

I'm always looking for a good novel, especially a good Historical Romance, so if you have a favorite, let me know.

No comments: